Fort Collins erases topless ban that inspired ‘Free the Nipple’ lawsuit

Jacy Marmaduke, Fort Collins Coloradoan Published 12:37 a.m. MT Sept. 4, 2019 | Updated 11:05 a.m. MT Sept. 6, 2019

Brittiany Hoagland protests Fort Collins indecency

Buy Photo

Brittiany Hoagland protests Fort Collins indecency laws Aug. 6, 2015, as traffic passes by at the intersection of South Shields and West Elizabeth streets. Hoagland says the language in the city law is sexist and unconstitutional against women and the transgender community. (Photo: Austin Humphreys/The Coloradoan)

Editor’s note: This story was updated at 11:20 a.m. Wednesday to reflect the full amount of money the city of Fort Collins spent on the lawsuit.

Fort Collins hammered the last nail in the coffin of the now-defunct topless ban that inspired a three-year, $322,000 “Free the Nipple” lawsuit.

City Council on Tuesday agreed to remove references to the 2015 policy from Fort Collins’ public nudity code. Language barring women and girls over age 10 from exposing their breasts in public will officially disappear from city code Sept. 17. But the ban has been unenforceable since February 2017, when a district court judge ruled it violated the 14th Amendment because it applied only to women.

The legal battle over Fort Collins’ topless ban next headed to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled 2-1 against the policy in February 2019.

“We’re left, as the district court was, to suspect that the City’s professed interest in protecting children derives not from any morphological differences between men’s and women’s breasts but from negative stereotypes depicting women’s breasts, but not men’s breasts, as sex objects,” Judge Gregory Phillips wrote in the majority opinion.

That left Fort Collins with the option of pursuing a hearing before the U.S. Supreme Court, although there was no guarantee the high court would agree to review the case. City Council voted 4-3 in May to stop defending the contested portion of the ordinance in court. The city spent about $120,000 on its defense, city attorney Carrie Daggett said Wednesday, and negotiated a $202,000 payment to cover the legal fees of plaintiffs Brit Hoagland and Samantha Six.

Council had until June 17 to reverse course and appeal to the Supreme Court, but the case officially closed July 24 with a permanent court order stating Fort Collins can’t enforce a topless ban that applies only to women and girls.

Still, council’s decision to remove the ban from city code wasn’t without controversy. Council member Ken Summers pulled the item from council’s consent agenda, which allowed community members to comment and council members to speak about the code change at greater length.https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2019/09/04/fort-collins-axes-topless-ban-inspired-free-nipple-lawsuit/2200123001/

Asgardias’ Technocracy Space Nation Seeks 15 Million Faithful

Asgardia website

Posted By: Callum Hoare via Express (UK) September 17, 2019

Watch videos_https://www.technocracy.news/asgardias-technocracy-space-nation-seeks-15-million-faithful/

It’s not just U.S. Technocrat billionaires who want to colonize outer space. A Russian billionaire’s Asgardia plan is to create the first ‘space nation’ to offer citizenship and passports. ⁃ TN Editor

A Russian billionaire is ramping up plans to save humanity by creating a floating “garden of gods” in the Solar System for 15 million lucky people.

Igor Ashurbeyli is the Azeri-Russian tycoon behind Asgardia, a project launched three years ago to establish “permanent peace in space”. In 2017, the group sent a satellite – Asgardia-1 – into low-Earth orbit and declared sovereignty over the space it occupies. The outlandish ambitions do not cease there, but “Head of Nation” Dr Ashurbeyli has sought to prove this is more than just a sci-fi fantasy.

Earlier this year, Asgardia unveiled plans to build a fleet of “cosmic Noah’s arks” orbiting the Earth, at a cost of roughly £100billion a piece for its micro-nation.

Former Liberal Democrat MP Lembit Opik was elected as the chairman of the Parliament of Asgardia during its first session in Vienna, Austria.

He is part of a British core involved in the project, that also includes Tory Brexiteer Nigel Evans who chairs the Asgardian parliament’s foreign affairs committee, and Philip Appleby, a former Ministry of Defence official and police officer who has been appointed Minister of Safety and Security.

Mr Opik told iweekend: “Lots people are building rockets, Asgardia is about building the society to go with them.

“At some point in the future, ordinary people are going to have to inhabit space and we are not going to build a social infrastructure from mission control. 

“It has to be built by consent – painstakingly and comprehensively. 

“We have to decide the rules and methods on everything from burials to taxation, from marriage to procreation.

“My political back catalogue tells you that I’m no stranger to dealing with the unexpected, it has never bothered me to be on the far side of convention and target for suspicion of derision.

“We are getting some big names from science and commerce and it creates a virtuous circle – the more people take us seriously, the more serious it will get.”

Read full story here…

U.S. Priest to Pope (THE False Prophet, Francis): ‘I am Wearied From Being Scorned and Demonized by You’

By Michael W. Chapman | September 16, 2019 | 4:55 PM EDT

Monsignor Charles Pope, a pastor in Washington, D.C. (msgrpope.com)

(CNSNews.com) — In response to Pope Francis’s criticism of  “rigid priests” — priests who steadfastly uphold all of the Church’s teachings, especially on sexual morality and the family — Monsignor Charles Pope, the pastor of a church in Washington, D.C., said he was not “feeling the love” from the Pope and is “wearied from being scorned and demonized by you.”

Pope Francis has criticized what he calls “rigid priests,” or clerics who are “rigid” in their ministry, fairly frequently since he was elected Pope in March 2013. In an October 2016 homily, Pope Francis said that rigid people are “sick” and adhere too strongly to the letter of the law. He often associates rigidity with orthodox Catholics who adhere to the traditions of the Church, its ancient devotions and prayers, the Latin Mass, and a strong love for the Virgin Mary. 

On Sept. 7, while speaking with the bishops of Mozambique about priestly formation, Pope Francis said, “I would like to emphasize an attitude that I do not like, because it does not come from God: rigidity. Today it is fashionable, I do not know about here, but in other parts of the world it is fashionable, to find rigid people.”

Pope Francis (Getty Images)

“Young, rigid priests, who want to save with rigidity, perhaps, I don’t know, but they take this attitude of rigidity and sometimes – excuse me – from the museum,” said the Pope.  “They are afraid of everything, they are rigid. Be careful, and know that under any rigidity there are serious problems.”

In response to those remarks, Msgr. Charles Pope wrote on Facebook, “Santo Padre, I’m not feeling the love here, I don’t feel accompanied by you. Make room in your heart for me and others like me. I am not a young priest, but I know you don’t like my type of priesthood. Further I am an American and this mere fact seems to also make me troublesome in your eyes.”

“I am not afraid of everything a you state, but I do have concerns for the ambiguity of some of your teachings and severity of some of your actions,” said Msgr. Pope.  “Yet when we, your less favored sons, ask you questions you will not answer or clarify. In all this I am still your son and share the priesthood of Jesus with you. I await the solicitude and gentle care from you that you say I, and others like me, lack.”

He continued, “Meanwhile I must honestly and painfully say that I am wearied from being scorned and demonized by you.  Respectfully,  Carlo.”

Monsignor Pope’s sentiment is not uncommon.

In reference to his post, Fr. Raymond Blake, a Catholic priest in England, tweeted, “I don’t see this continuous criticism from our beloved Holy Father as Christlike, I find it painful and destrucitve of faith and unity, and contrary to the action of the Holy Spirit’s action in the Church.”

Eric Sammons, who describes himself as a “traditional Catholic” living in Ohio, tweeted, “Pray for good priests like Msgr. Pope who are suffering greatly under this pope.”

Statue of St. Catherine of Siena.  (YouTube)

Cardinal Raymond Burke, Cardinal Walter Brandmuller, Cardinal Joachim Meisner, and Cardinal Carlo Caffarra sent a letter to Pope Francis in 2016 with questions (“dubia”) about certain teachings in his document Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love). One of the questions specifically asked the Pope to explain whether divorced and remarried Catholics (living in adultery) could receive Communion.

To this day, three years later, Pope Francis has not replied. (Cardinals Meisner and Caffarra have died in the interim.) Pope Francis also has not responded to similar questions from numerous theologians and Catholic scholars who have sent letters to the Vatican imploring the Holy Father to clarify his position.

On a related note, Pope Francis has stated he “will not say a single word” in reference to Archbishop Carlo Vigano’s “Testimony,” which exposed numerous alleged instances of corruption in the Vatican, the Pope’s apparent deceitfulness in the sexual abuse case involving Arbp. Theodore McCarrick, and which called on the Pope to resign. https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/us-priest-pope-i-am-wearied-being-scorned-and-demonized-you

Russian priests spray holy water from plane to stop ‘alcohol use’ and ‘fornication’

Moscow — Sep 17, 2019, 3:24 PM ET

PHOTO: Priests from Tver, Russia are spraying holy water from an airplane to cure drunkenness.
Priests from Tver, Russia are spraying holy water from an airplane to cure drunkenness.

Russian Orthodox priests in the Central Russian city of Tver took to the skies in a small airplane to save citizens from “drunkenness and fornication,” reported a Russian local media outlet.

On Sept. 11, Sobriety Day, an unofficial Russian holiday, the priests carried 70 liters (about 18 gallons) of holy water onto the aircraft.

Once the plane reached an altitude of 200 to 300 meters (approximately 800 feet) the blessings began. Clergymen held a prayer service before pouring the holy water out of the plane’s open door.(MORE: Heat Wave and Vodka A Deadly Russian Mix; Hundreds Drown)

Priests tipped the water out from a large chalice in an attempt to heal those suffering from alcoholism and drug addiction. A married couple that claims the husband was miraculously cured of alcoholism also was on the flight.

Father Alexander, one of the priests, said the ritual is designed to stop the use of “alcohol,” “drugs” and to “stop fornication.”

“Any disease is from a virus, and a virus is a demon,” he explained. “Therefore, any disease is primarily a spiritual disease.”…https://abcnews.go.com/International/russian-priests-spray-holy-water-plane-stop-alcohol/story?id=65668588&

The Navy Says Those UFO Videos Are Real

And they were never meant to be released to the public.

image

By Kyle Mizokami Sep 16, 2019

image

YouTube

  • The U.S. Navy says three videos showing reported encounters between Navy aircraft and UFOs are real.
  • But a Navy spokesperson says the clips show “unexplained aerial phenomena,” which is not to say that they’re piloted by aliens.
  • While the videos are unclassified, the Navy says they were never cleared for release.

The U.S. Navy has confirmed that three online videos purportedly showing UFOs are genuine. The service says the videos, taken by Navy pilots, show “unexplained aerial phenomena,” but also states that the clips should have never been released to the public in the first place.

The three videos in question are titled “FLIR1,” “Gimbal,” and “GoFast.” They show two separate encounters between Navy aircraft and UFOs.

One video was taken in 2015 off the East Coast by a F/A-18F fighter jet using the aircraft’s onboard Raytheon AN/ASQ-228 Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared (ATFLIR) Pod. The other clip, also recorded with a Super Hornet ATFLIR pod, was taken off the coast of California in 2004 by pilots flying from the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. In the videos, air crews loudly debate what the objects are and where they came from.

The videos were released for public viewing by The New York Times and To The Stars Academy of Arts & Sciences, a UFO research group from former Blink-182 member Tom DeLonge.
More UFOs Why Are Senators Suddenly Being Briefed on UFOs? All Our UFO Covers from Over the Years Blink-182 Guy Finds Weird Space Metals

In each case, the objects in the videos undertook aerial maneuvers that aren’t possible with current aviation technology. In the 2004 incident, according to The New York Times, the objects “appeared suddenly at 80,000 feet, and then hurtled toward the sea, eventually stopping at 20,000 feet and hovering. Then they either dropped out of radar range or shot straight back up.”

Joseph Gradisher, official spokesperson for the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Warfare, told The Black Vault, an online repository of secret and otherwise classified documents, that the Navy “designates the objects contained in these videos as unidentified aerial phenomena.”https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a29073804/navy-ufo-videos-real/

Facebook to train AI systems using police video

NEW YORK (AP) — Facebook will work with law enforcement organizations to train its artificial intelligence systems to recognize videos of violent events as part of a broader effort to crack down on extremism.

Facebook’s AI systems were unable to detect live-streamed video of a mass shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand.

The effort will use body-cam footage of firearms training provided by U.S. and U.K. government and law enforcement agencies. The aim is to develop systems that can automatically detect first-person violent events without also flagging similar footage from movies or video games…https://apnews.com/df9ab7dcf4a344aa96848a874cf30d6e

Deadly ‘super mosquitoes’ accidentally created by scientists after bungled experiment

  • 17 Sep 2019, 17:49
  • Updated: 17 Sep 2019, 18:39

GENETICALLY modified mosquitoes that were designed by scientists to help populations decrease are actually thriving.

This is according to new research that claims the plan to create gene-hacked mosquitoes that have offspring which die immediately has spectacularly backfired and now scientists don’t know what will happen next.

 The plan to decrease mosquitoes populations with genetically modified insects has backfired
The plan to decrease mosquitoes populations with genetically modified insects has backfiredCredit: Getty – Contributor

The modified mosquitoes were released in Jacobina in Brazil and were supposed to mix with the local population and decrease numbers with their weak offspring genetics.

Although the wild population did plummet for a short while, 18 months later it was right back up again.

This is mostly concerning because scientists think the new ‘super mosquitoes’ have properties that might make them harder to kill.

Research about the pests has been published in the journal Nature Scientific Reports….https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/9947305/deadly-super-mosquitoes-accidentally-created/