WHO THEY ARE?
Art and Bri, mom and dad of FIVE beautiful kids, are homesteaders, homeschoolers and Youtube vloggers . Their home is an old farmhouse (almost 100 years old). They’ve been there nearly four years raising their kids on a small farm and sharing their adventures online with the hope of inspiring people to live a life they love.
THE BACKSTORY (and problem)
Art and Bri’s kids have been sick with bad respiratory symptoms for two years. They’ve been in the ER multiple times with kids struggling to breath. Recently they had their home tested for mold and found significantly elevated mold spore counts in both the living space and the crawlspace. They believe this to be the MOST LIKELY CAUSE for their kid’s illness. (Watch them share this here!)
Since then they have nonstop been: reading, talking to mold experts, trying to figure out the source of the problem and how to fix it. They’ve had several estimates for mold remediators and others and have learned that in addition to killing mold two things are essential: resolving underlying moisture issues and removing mold reservoirs in the house.
Out of all the things they’ve learned this stands out: THIS IS A HUGE JOB and will take a lot of time and money to fix properly (so the problem does not return) and safely (so they don’t get sick in the process). They’ve also realized that they cannot do all the work themselves because it would take months and some parts are not safe without training and equipment. (Art and Bri share more details)
WHERE WILL THE MONEY GO?
We are putting $30,000 as their goal because we know they will need that much but are afraid it will be much more.
Here is a list of the JOBS WE KNOW and prices (some from bids and some from their own estimates). THE END COST IS A MOVING TARGET because Art and Bri don’t know the extent of mold in walls, floor and ceilings until that point in the project when they move out and start tearing out walls and into floors. Some numbers may be lower as they will try to do some of the jobs themselves, some may end up much higher if more floor and walls have to be removed.
THE CORE OF THE JOB:
1. Crawlspace mold remediation, ventilation/humidification system $2300
2. Wrap and seal crawlspace: (they are waiting for a bid but several thousand dollars due to extremely difficult access): $3000-$10000
3. Back room wall, floor and carpet demo and mold remediation: $1200
4. 2 bedroom mold remediation (including interior wall removal): $850 each room
5. Bathroom mold removal including partial floor removal: $850
6: Removal and remediation mold in drop ceilings 3 rooms (They will not open these spaces till they are out of the house – unsure if total removal is needed): $3200
4. Whole house (every surface of every object) mold treatment and cleaning: $7000 (this is a lower priority than structural work and would come last)
5. Dumpster for mold contaminated furniture etc. $1000
6. Upstairs moisture control system: Minisplit heat pump (they will only pay for out of GFM funds after core remediation, grading and crawlspace work is done.): $3000 (could be more, they are waiting on the official estimate)
7. Grading outside house to address root cause of moisture in crawlspace (including moving kerosene tank, water and drain line, retaining wall and drain): $2000
PUTTING IT ALL BACK TOGETHER:
1. Replacing interior paneling, insulation, flooring (Art will do a lot of this): $4000 (a shot in the dark because they don’t yet know how much demo there will be)
2. Replacing all mattresses, soft furniture and bedding.- $6000
Art and Bri are committed to make donations go AS FAR AS POSSIBLE and do as many of the things on the list as they can. We will provide updates from Art and Bri throughout the process and you will also be able to follow their journey on their Youtube channel.
Their house is most likely making their kids sick. This is Art and Bri’s WHY. They know they have to fix the problem and it has to be done soon.
Art says: “I will be honest. I was very reticent to do a Go Fund Me for this problem when approached by Simeon & Alex and other people. At first I told Bri a flat “NO”. I didn’t want to ask people for money for OUR problem. Then DAD MODE kicked in when i realized, “I don’t have the financial means to fix this problem right so it won’t come back.” I realized had to put my pride aside, not care what anyone said, and do the best I could do right now for my kids.”
YOU MEAN SO MUCH TO THEM:
On behalf of Art and Bri we just want to say thank you here to EVERY SINGLE PERSON who has supported them through this problem. Not only are they blown away by your financial generosity, they have been TOUCHED by your kind message, words of encouragement and prayers. You have done so much to help and encourage them SO THANK YOU both from them and us!
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Consider making a donation to help them get the mold out of their house and to keep it out!
If you cannot give financially, you can help by getting the word out by sharing on your Facebook timeline or other social media, praying for them and continuing your wonderful encouragement.
Yahweh bless you all 🙂